This is my take on an old classic. Big crowd pleaser and only takes about 20 minutes to cook!
1 chicken breast, thawed
4 slices bacon
10 crimini mushrooms, wiped with wet towel & sliced
2 tsp. minced garlic
½ onion, chopped
2 sprigs fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/8 cup white wine (or vegetable broth if not available)
2 Tbls. brown rice flour
¾ cup organic, whole milk
Half package brown rice penne pasta (recommend Lundberg brand)
1 Tbls. olive oil
- Cook brown rice noodles according to package instructions.
- You will want to prep all food first: (1) cut chicken, bacon [when it’s done] and mushrooms into bite-size pieces and (2) chop onion & basil.
- You will need to two sauté pans — you will be ultimately combining all ingredients into “VEGETABLE” pan, so use bigger one (with higher sides) for that. Start by cook bacon until starting to get crispy, then add chicken and cook through (then set aside if need be).
- Once chicken is almost done cooking, combine olive oil, mushrooms, onion, garlic and basil into other pan. Cook until onion & mushrooms soften. Then add brown rice flour to “vegetable” pan and stir to coat.
- Add wine, bacon and chicken to vegetable pan and cook for 1 minute. Last, add the milk and bring to a boil, stirring to mix. Reduce heat to low and continue to stir frequently for 2 minutes. Serve carbonara over noodles!
- Option to grate fresh Parmesan cheese (1 Tbls.-ish per serving) over top.