Hearty Apple-Butternut Squash Soup
1 butternut squash, halved and seeds scooped out
1 apple, diced
1 onion, chopped
2-3 tsp. minced garlic
1 Tbls. each of: olive oil, sage and maple syrup
1 tsp. thyme
Sea salt + pepper to taste
4+ cups vegetable broth to blend
For more creaminess: blend in 1/3 cup plain, full-fat Greek yogurt
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Lay butternut squash out on baking sheet. Brush maple syrup onto both halves, then season with sea salt + pepper. Roast in the oven for 50 minutes or until completely cooked.
- When squash is done, remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Add apple, onion, minced garlic, olive oil, sage and thyme to a sauce pan. Cook for 7-10 minutes (until apple & onion are soft).
- Once cooled, scoop flesh out of squash and put into pan with apples mix. Add vegetable broth to mix and stir to combine. If you’re going to use Greek yogurt, add it now as well.
- Transfer all ingredients to a blender to puree. As needed/desired, you can add more broth or yogurt. Season with sea salt + pepper to taste!