Old School Tuna Casserole, Revamped!
Half package brown rice penne noodles
1 Tbls. extra-virgin olive oil
½ onion, finely chopped
10 crimini mushrooms, sliced
½ cup white wine (or vegetable broth)
2 Tbls. brown rice flour
3 cups whole, organic milk
2 cans white chunk tuna (drained)
1 cup frozen peas, thawed
5 Rye with Caraway Seeds Triscuits, smashed into “crumbs”
Sea salt + pepper to taste
Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cook noodles according to package instructions until just tender. Drain, rinse and set aside in a big mixing bowl.
- Position rack in upper third of oven and preheat broiler.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan, then add onion and mushrooms, cooking until onion is softened but not browned (about 5 minutes). Add wine and cook until evaporated, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetables in saucepan; stir to coat. Add milk, bringing to a slow boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in tuna and peas. Transfer sauce into mixing bowl with noodles and stir until evenly coated. Put entire mixture into greased pan.
- Sprinkle the casserole with crushed Triscuit and then grate fresh Parmesan over top.
- Since everything is already cooked, broil until top is crispy and dish starting to bubble – about 3-4 minutes.