Kitchen-Sink Curry + Cauliflower Rice
We all have those days…where the fridge is filled with a bunch of random ingredients, we haven’t been to the grocery store in a few days (or week) and we want to throw something quick together for dinner. Enter the “kitchen-sink curry”. For grocery-less and extra busy weeks, it’s important to always have a stocked pantry. One of my staples is organic coconut milk – it’s great for thickening sauces and of course, is just plain delicious. I also always have a jar of Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste (great whole food product found in the asian section of almost any grocery store). When I’m making a curry, I always use three staple spices: curry powder (that’s a given), turmeric and coriander; no specific measurements, like a little shake here and a little shake there + sea salt and pepper.
Ingredients I had “lying around”:
– Sweet potatoes
– Cauliflower (I’ve had the intention to make cauliflower rice for awhile now)
– Red Chard
– Yellow onion (1/2)
– PCC Organic Chicken-Apple Sausage
– My “curry staples”: organic coconut milk, curry paste and my spices
– 1 Tbls. each of: brown rice flour and coconut oil x 2
– Water, vegetable broth or half a vegetable bouillon cube
When you’re making a “kitchen-sink” dish, you can use ANY vegetable you have around: yellow summer squash, zucchini, carrots, broccoli, kale, spinach, cabbage, leeks, parsnips, turnips – the list goes on. You can choose to add an animal protein or not – I had PCC Chicken-Apple Sausage on hand that I set out to thaw earlier in the day.
So, to make, you’ll need three pans – saute, sautoir, etc. If three pans going at once sounds intimidating, don’t worry – this is how we make the meal quick: multi-tasking! You’ll put designated ingredients in each pan and cook at the same time. Chop all your vegetables first and your animal protein (if using). Then, make the cauliflower “rice” by adding cauliflower florets and 1/2 an onion to a food processor, chopping into “rice”-size bits.
#1 PAN: Add any vegetables with 1 Tbls. coconut oil in your largest sautoir pan (like a saute pan with high sides) – this will be the pan you end the curry in. Saute for 5 minutes on medium heat.
#2 PAN: Add animal protein and saute until browned. When done, remove from heat.
#3 PAN: Add cauliflower rice + 1 Tbls. coconut oil. Cook for 8 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally. Season with sea salt + pepper. Remove from heat when done.
- When vegetables have sauteed for 5 minutes (they should still be a little “uncooked”), add 1 Tbls. flour and coat. Then, add 1/2 can coconut milk, 1 Tbls. Thai Kitchen Red Curry Paste and either 2 cups water + half vegetable bouillon cube OR 2 cups vegetable broth. Stir for about 60 seconds (flour helps to thicken sauce). You can always add full can coconut milk or more vegetable broth to have more sauce.
- Add animal protein (if using) and seasonings: 1 tsp. each of: turmeric, coriander and curry powder + sea salt & pepper. Stir to mix.
- Cook, covered for 5 – 8 minutes, letting flavors marinate. At this time, add any GREENS (like chard, kale, spinach, etc.).
- Serve over “rice”!